Monday, February 19, 2018

Cancer Fronts Update

It has been a very medically-packed couple of months since the bladder cancer surgery on 12/15, including two return trips with hospitalization stays, with entry through the ER. I have so much to give thanks to my God through all this, for His sustaining and restoring power, good medical care, provision of daily needs, and support of friends and family.

But more on the recovery later. Big news is that I went to see the multiple myeloma cancer doc (the first cancer) last week, and discussed the results of a blood sample taken the week prior. This cancer has increased by 50% since January 3, and by 100% since December 4, and it is now time to resume the chemotherapy that had to be put on hold for the bladder surgery. I still had the remaining doses of that medication, and resumed that chemotherapy last week. Other than that, the doc thinks I am looking and acting pretty good. I will go back to see him in a month.

So far as recovering from the bladder surgery, it has been a progress at first measured in centimeters, and then in inches, per day. Neighbors and all of our kids were a tremendous help during this recovery time. Following the latest release from the hospital in mid-January, Carol was too concerned about leaving me alone for the day, but had missed work for a month (many nights of which were spent sleeping on a hospital couch), and really needed to get back to work with peace of mind about me. She, some of our kids, and some folks at church set up a system for some of the retired men at the church to come and hang out with me in shifts throughout the day for a while. They were times of great fellowship that were much appreciated.

I would rate myself at about 50% recovered from the bladder surgery. I'm able to work about 4 hours a day, and still need lots of sleep. I went back into the pool twice last week, and walked about 600 yards in the water each time. I am still in the process of building strength, still learning tricks of dressing to cover my new hardware, and still investigating other hardware available to me.

Thanks for all the visits, prayers and expressions of concern during these past weeks, and in the future.

Guest Blogger Carol: If you're reading this, Daryl caved in and let me get by with a P.S. :-)  I have to say that Daryl is one of the bravest people I know.  He faces all of these trials with a deep  confidence that God will not allow any trial to come his way without it being according to His will.  This is a deeply safe place to be.  He often softens the truths of how hard this road is on him, and how many daily challenges both cancers have placed on his life.  He faces each day without complaint. Wow! These days have also held many joys...we got a whole month together to learn what we needed to do. We had the help of our kids and friends. People ask me how we manage it, and I quickly tell them we have not had to do this alone! Thank you all from my heart for the calls, emails, texts, gifts, meals, distractions and assistance you have given us. Even those who stayed away because of illness...that's love! Thank you for ignoring the fact that I have not written thank you notes for all the kindnesses! May the Lord's blessings be yours!

2 comments:

  1. So encouraging - God's faithfulness is "AMAZING" to me. His sustaining & restoring powers totally blows me away daily :) you got in the pool, that is GREAT!
    PS. it's a deeply safe place to be - yepper, the pool is also :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two are amazing. How can I read Daryl’s updates and now Carole’s P.S. of some of the most challenging health situations ever and feel a renewal of Hope and Faith? I wish I knew you, Carole but I’ve known since Avon Elementary that Daryl is one very nice guy. The two of you together are obviously one very special couple. God’s light shines brightly through you and I know He will continue to not only bless you but others through you. ❤️

    ReplyDelete