Sunday, May 24, 2009

Life Persists

This year I have three new pecan trees and one rescued azalea bush.  The pecans trees are thanks to the friendly squirrels (cute rats with bushy tails)inhabiting our back yard.  Over the winter, they buried some pecans found elsewhere in the neighborhood into flower pots in my back yard.  The pecans sprouted into trees after I planted flowers this spring, and I transplanted them, tree, root, original pecan and all into some new flower pots consecrated solely for that purpose.  As would only be appropriate, Squirrel George the x kept me close company during the process, and I rewarded him with peanuts for his trouble in planting the pecans.

The azalea bush was originally a $13 bargain I bought in Arlington last year.  It got trampled when we replaced our fence a couple of months ago, and then replaced with an azalea given by friends as a Christmas gift, but not delivered until spring.  Anyway, much to the not-too-concealed amusement of close family members, I dug up the root, planted it in a pot and set it in a place where it would receive just the right amount of sunlight, from an azalea’s point of view on sunlight, and let the Creator’s ordained processes of nature take work.  This weekend, about two months later, the root sprouted vegetation.  As an amateur gardener, I never cease to be amazed at the way life persists when given opportunity to do so.

Here is the photographic proof of the pecan trees and azalea bush.  The final picture is one Carol took of the way I arranged flora vegetation, et al, just off our back patio this afternoon.  The figurine in the background is not St. Francis.  That would not do for a Protestant Evangelical elder.  It is St. Augustine, considered to be okay for those with leanings toward Calvinistic/Reformed viewpoints.  I put it there hoping he would bless the grass (just kidding!).

DSCN0546DSCN0549

DSCN0551

2 comments:

  1. Um....it's pretty hard to bless what's not there....I'd say we're hoping for some grass for anyone to bless!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job that you and the squirrels did, son. The plants look really good.
    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete