Sunday, August 21, 2016

A Doc Who Tells It Like It Is

I saw the cancer doctor this past week, and discussed results of the blood sample taken the week before. The cancer indicator is down quite a bit from last month, but up slightly from 2 months ago. For the past 4 months, the readings are 0.7, 0.8, 1.3 and 1.0.  What this means is that last month was an anomalous data reading, either due to a goofed-up test in the cancer lab (my hypothesis), or because I was sick at the time the sample was taken (Carol's theory). Throwing out the bad data point, we are seeing a slow and steady increase of 0.1 per month. I will get another blood reading in early September, but it will be two months before I see the cancer doc again, because even cancer docs need a vacation now and then.

The doctor is pleased with the slow rate at which the cancer is progressing and also with overall improvements in the quality of blood the marrow is making. He said that after another couple of months of this lower chemo, I might get to take a break from it. 


I asked him why it is taking so long for my leg muscles to heal and for me to start walking better again, and he said, "Because you're old." But, I countered that I could walk great in the pool, just not so good on dry land. He said, "Not only are you old; you're also fat." (Maybe not his EXACT words, but I think that was the logical progression of what he meant.) 


Thanks for the prayers, support and encouragement.

1 comment:

  1. I read: "doctor is pleased, "slow rate," "overall improvements." "after another couple of months of lower chemo...might get to take a break." God is Good!

    You're no older than all of us "old" Avon/WSHS/Memphis school friends. Keep up the good work even if you have to do so wearing a bathing suit!

    ReplyDelete