Sunday, February 10, 2013

Hospitalized


Late Thursday evening, 2/7, I was admitted to hospital with fever, and severe shakes and chills. It turns out my body was producing an abundance of white blood cells (WBCs), a condition called peri-engraftment, or engraftment syndrome. The function of white cells is to attack things, and these were young and inexperienced WBCs who bent themselves on attacking anything and everything in the body, and creating general mayhem.  After running lots of tests to exclude other possibilities, things got under control by 2:00 AM Friday.

As a precaution, I was kept in hospital Friday and Saturday for observation and very lengthy IV infusions of various antibiotics and things.  Sunday I was released, and I am now back at the Gif of Life House on out patient status with Mayo.

No comments:

Post a Comment