Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Cancer Wars

The cancer war rages on. Last Friday, a sample was taken of my blood and today, Carol & I went in to discuss the results with the cancer doc. The cancer remains at a low level, but showed a very slight increase over the last sample, taken two months ago. After a very lengthy discussion and evaluation of the various options, I made the decision to discontinue the cancer medication for at least a month, perhaps longer. The rationale is that at this stage of the game, I consider the medications to be doing more overall harm to my body than the cancer. The decision was 100% mine, but Carol and the doc were both on board with it. We will monitor and re-evaluate on a monthly basis, and see how it goes. It was not an easy decision to make, there are potentially serous consequences on either path.

Two things to keep in mind:
  1. The cancer is not in remission. It is at a low level, but still very much there.
  2. Although I am discontinuing medication for an undetermined period of time, this is not a "break" in fighting the cancer. We are not retreating; we are simply attacking in another direction!
Thanks to all for your love, prayers, and expression of concern!

2 comments:

  1. New strategy. Always good. Sneak attack. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Son,
    Sorry I hadn't been online with your postings lately (so much going on here), but know that you are always in my thoughts and prayers. I love all the pics you have posted, and your insightful ideas that go with them. Thanks for keeping us "in the Loop" with your health decisions. As always, I am on your side in those. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete