Sunday, November 8, 2009

What I Do All Day (Some Days)


One of the many different things that I get to do in my work is to certify that liners installed for municipal solid waste landfills are constructed in accordance with plans submitted by the landfill to, and approved by, the State of Texas' environmental regulatory authority. The liners are there to assure that liquids that come in contact with the garbage to be deposited in the landfill don't migrate out of the landfill and contaminate the groundwater, and to also protect against methane gas generated by the decomposing garbage from migrating off site and creating explosive conditions.

Doing this certification requires frequent visits during liner construction, the full-time presence during construction of one my my materials testing technicians, direction, and lots of tests of the liner in the field, and on samples brought back to our laboratory.

Here is a picture of a liner built out of 3 feet of compacted clay that we are currently certifying on a landfill a little ways southwest of Fort Worth. This site fascinates me because of its purple clay. It also has a strata of green soil, the likes of which I have only seen once before in my life.

5 comments:

  1. So when is the other time you've seen a strata of green soil and what's the significance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, and purple clay. Sure would make some nice pottery. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matthew -
    The only other time I have seen green soil is at the Crater of Diamonds State Park in Arkansas (see blog dated June 16, 2008), but don't get the idea that there are diamonds around this landfill. - Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Son,
    I agree with Heather on the pottery thing! In fact that is what I was going to comment when I read your posting. She just beat me to it. Ha. A very interesting description of what a liner is. I was picturing it to be like a swimming pool liner (heavy plastic) until I read the 3 feet deep of clay. Clay is very densely compacted, is it not? Thanks for the very informative posting. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete