Thursday, October 4, 2007

Why are you in despair, O my soul?

Sept. 3, 2007:

On a long car trip returning towards home, I was not at peace (dare I say depressed?), but couldn’t pin down why. So many things were on my mind. Which one was it that was bothering me? Was I worried over the possibility of having cancer? Was it something else that was bothering me?

Why are you in despair, O my soul?

I found that one partial line from a psalm to keep running through my mind, and mused that an ancient psalmist must have had something bothering him, too, that he couldn’t quite pin down. The lack of peace continued.

Why are you in despair, O my soul?

How did the rest of that verse go? Which Psalm was that? My brain was so tired. I began to wonder what had been bothering the psalmist. Perhaps if I read the psalm, and found out what had been bothering him, it might give me insight into whatever was troubling me.

Why are you in despair, O my soul?

We switched drivers, and eventually, as curiosity and fret won out over fatigue, I looked up verse to find out what had been bothering the psalmist, and more importantly, me. The phrase actually occurs in the Psalms three times – Psalm 42:5, 42:11, and 43:5. In none of the instances is the source for the despair clearly identified, because the source is of no consequence. What matters is the command that always follows the thrice-stated question.

Why are you in despair, O my soul?
And why have you become disturbed within me?
Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him,
The help of my countenance, and my God.

What are you doing in despair, O my soul? You have no business being there. Hope in God.


1 comment:

  1. Attitude - "Blessed be the name of the Lord"! and as James says "Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." WoW!

    ReplyDelete